[ofa-general] Re: IPoIB forwarding

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue May 1 15:12:08 PDT 2007

Loic Prylli wrote:
> On 4/30/2007 2:12 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
>

>> Speaking of defaults, it would seem that the external 1.2.0 driver
>> comes with 9000 bytes as the default MTU?  At least I think that is
>> what I am seeing now that I've started looking more closely.
>>
>> rick jones
>

> That's the same for the in-kernel-tree code (9K MTU by default).
> Assuming this is not wanted, I will submit a patch for that.

While I like what that does for perrformance, and at the risk of putting
words into the mouths of netdev, I suspect that 1500 bytes is indeed the
desired default.  It matches the IEEE specs, I've yet to see a switch
which enabled "Jumbo Frames" by default, not everything out there even
believes that Jubmo Frames means 9000 byte MTU etc etc etc.  I think
that 1500 bytes for an "Ethernet" device remains in line with the
principle of least surprise.

rick jones