[ofa-general] Re: OFED-1.2-20070502-0600 on Debian

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at dev.mellanox.co.il
Fri May 4 00:42:41 PDT 2007

> >There *is* another way which should be enough to test IPoIB:
> >try getting a kernel tarball from
> >http://git.openfabrics.org/~vlad/builds/
> >
> >If you unpack this, you can configure/make/make install.
> >
> >Installer will backup your original modules under the prefix.
> >Keep the source around and you'll be able to make uninstall
> >to get back to original system.
> >
> >Note 1: default configure settings are often not what you want:
> >run ./configure --help first of all to see which modules to select
> >(--with-ipoib-mod and --with-mthca-mod I think) and to set a prefix.
> >Note 2: having quilt tool installed is recommended - will let you
> >add/remove patches later.
> >Note 3: this way you get no userspace. openfabrics tarballs
> >are under the same directory, and a similiar method works there.
> >external tarballs (MPI, bonding, etc) are supplied to us in SRPM
> >format so this trick does not work for them.
>
> Seems I found little joy there too, probably my own fault.  The environment
> is a Debian 4.0. The kernel is called:
>
> hpcpc107:~/ofa_1_2_kernel-20070502-0200# uname -a
> Linux hpcpc107 2.6.21.1-raj #1 SMP Tue May 1 14:11:27 PDT 2007 ia64
> GNU/Linux
>

> The sources to which are at:
>
> /root/linux-2.6.21.1
>
> My configure line was:
>
> ./configure --with-ipoib-mod --with-mthca-mod --with-sdp-mod
> --prefix=/root/save

You must add --with-core-mod and it starts to rip.
Vlad, I think configure should be smart enough to know that
selecting any modules should enable core, too. OK?

However, I noticed that 2.6.21 isn't supported yet (build actually fails).
I'll try to add support by Monday, for now latest supported kernel is 2.6.20.y.

> I didn't save the first set of configure output :(  Subsequent configures
> give:

Yes, it's a known limitation currently.
There are 3 possible work-arounds:
- remove the build directory and re-open it
- run
  >quilt pop -a
  >rm -fr patches .pc
  before second configure run
- add --without-patch to second configure run (only works
  if you did not change the kernel version to build for)

--
MST