[OMPI devel] [ofa-general] OpenMPI and RDMA-CM

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue May 8 22:37:02 PDT 2007

Andrew Friedley wrote:

> Hmm I'm interested.  I've already done some work switching over to RDMA
> CM for some research stuff I've been doing; it's not publicly accessible
> w/o the 3rd party agreement.  I can help answer questions on what
> exactly needs to change, and do some testing.

Doing a bit of zoom out from the "how to make ofed's udapl work for
ompi" thread, my thinking is that the ompi udapl btl enablement is
actually only the first step, where for production/longterm/etc you want
to have an rdmacm btl. Reasoning here is made of many arguments, among
them the quickest i can make are:

A) it seems that ompi would want to use not only RC but rather also UD
multicast and unicast, which are not covered by udapl

B) there's actually no real justification to maintain two APIs (namely
udapl vs libibvers/librdmacm), so down the road, only one of them would
survive (udapl is implemented ***over*** libibverbs/librdmacm so if the
latteres dies same does udapl). Specifically, I hear here and there that
the OFED stack is now on its way to be deployed all over the place,
specifically in commercial Unix OSs (which want modern! code that
supports IPoIB-CM,RDS,SRP,iSER, etc you named it) so eventually the
rdmacm btl can be used also over Solaris et al.

Or.