[ofa-general] Re: libmlx4 wc flash

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue May 15 13:06:18 PDT 2007

> Quoting Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com>:
> Subject: Re: libmlx4 wc flash
>
>  > By the way, I just re-checked and it seems that WC support first
>  > appeared in Pentium II systems. So I think we should be able to
>  > use sfence if WC is enabled.
>
> That's actually doubly wrong: WC support was added in Pentium Pro, and
> sfence was added in Pentium III.

OK, here's what I remembered, after checking the sources:

	This memory type is available in the Pentium Pro and
	Pentium II processors by programming the MTRRs or in the Pentium III,
	Pentium 4, and Intel Xeon processors by programming the MTRRs
	or by selecting it through the PAT.

so what it comes down to, is that if we assume that WC
will *only be enabled through PAT* then it's safe to use sfence
in this case. Right?

--
MST