[ofa-general] binary compatibility ofed 1.1 and 1.2

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Wed May 16 13:21:31 PDT 2007

 > > Will apps built with OFED 1.1 verbs.h run on an OFED 1.2 install ?

Yes, unless you do something to defeat the ABI versioning.

 >       It seems the binary apps are broken between OFED-1.1 and OFED-1.2.
 > Any reason why we can't maintain struct like ibv_cq binary compatibility?

libibverbs has a versioned ABI.  So if you link your app against
libibverbs 1.0, it will be linked against IBVERBS_1.0 symbols and
still work with the libibverbs 1.1 dynamic library.

A number of changes required struct layout differences etc., so a new
IBVERBS_1.1 ABI was introduced as well.  But you will only get that by
linking against libibverbs 1.1.

 - R.