[ofa-general] Re: [Query] ib add path record cache

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri May 18 03:21:05 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 08:28, Devesh Sharma wrote:
> On 17 May 2007 06:42:16 -0400, Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:

> > > Ok if "dummy entries" word as such has created confusion then I am
> > > sorry for that, But with that I mean that, those are valid path
> > > records which Administrator knows in advance and while loading the
> > > module,
> >
> > How does the admin know they are valid ?
> Depending on the initial application runs, some trusted PRs can be generated.

What do initial application runs have to do with this ?

> >Are they somehow preconfigured at the SM ?
> I am not sure about SM has any such provision?

Not that I'm aware of.

> Also not sure about the
> role of SM in path resolving. I mean once node has initiated SA query,
> whether SM has some database to reply SA or On the fly destination
> node is contacted to get asked path recored?

SMs can either calculate the SA PRs on the fly based on the routing
algorithm in use and some other things or put them in a local database.
This is up to that SM.

Destination node is not contacted in the SA PR query process.

> >Doesn't each SM have its own policy for generating valid PRs ?
> Ultimately path record is in Path_Record object format, and SA cache
> is going to store in a fixed manner, How generation policy matters?

What if the local policy loaded does not agree with what the SM would
generate for a particular PR ? One then gets a local error which will
need to be tracked down. Not so easy IMO.

> CMIIW. Also I am assuming a homogeneous cluster where certain
> parameters can be assumed to be same always.

and always in agreement with what the SM would return ? For example,
what happens when a link goes down and the end node is no longer
reachable ?

> >are these from a live SM and just loaded "out of band" to
> bypass/preclude the SA PR >mechanism ?
> may be

Even if they are, there is still the changes in the subnet issue.

-- Hal