[ofa-general] how to write a IB user level multicast application

Andrew Friedley afriedle at open-mpi.org
Thu May 24 08:18:26 PDT 2007

Dotan Barak wrote:
> In the following URL you can find a very simple example on how to use
> multicast:
> https://svn.openfabrics.org/svn/openib/trunk/contrib/mellanox/ibtp/gen2/userspace/useraccess/multicast_test/multicast_test.c

I seem to be missing v1.h on my OFED v1.2 nightly install, where can I
find it?

> this test doesn't send an SA query (to get the multicast props) or an SA
> multicast join (to make the SM configure the subnet to make the port
> that this QP is attached to) to get the multicast messages.
>
> This example will work on a back-to-back topology.

An alternative that I've had pretty good success with is to use the RDMA
CM.  It uses an IP(v6) abstraction, does the SA queries/joins for you,
and also supports selection of an unused multicast address if you join
the '0' address (and port? not sure if its required, I always zero it).
  Check out the 'mckey.c' example included with the RDMA CM source, it
will likely answer your questions.

Andrew