[ofa-general] Re: [Query] ib add path record cache

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu May 31 10:16:47 PDT 2007

> Do you have some pointer/doc related to the design of current SA_CACHE
> module....It will make things faster to understand........if not then
> I will require your support to understand the things, Though I have
> some top level view.

I don't have any design docs.  But I will happily answer any questions.

> Ok you mean Its not required to create a separate device interface in
> cache module as such. I think this is a good idea......Just for
> confirmation...whether /dev/umad is active on each node other than SM
> node?

After giving this more thought, I like this approach.  If we use a
vendor/application specific MAD class that used the SA class as a
template, we can begin creating a distributed SA.

I haven't worked through details, but as an example, to load a PR into
the local SA, you could send it a 'Set' MAD with a PR in the data
portion.  To load multiple paths, we could add a 'SetTable' method.  To
remove a path, we would send a 'Delete' MAD.

Whether or not the MADs are sent from the local node, or some other node
wouldn't matter.  We can use this mechanism to pre-load the cache or
simply push updates to it.