[ofa-general] opensm: Unsupported attribute = 0xFF02

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Thu Nov 1 04:50:02 PDT 2007

Hi Sasha,

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 02:24 +0200, Sasha Khapyorsky wrote:
> Hi Hal,
>
> On 14:01 Tue 30 Oct     , Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > >                                 status..................0x0
> > >                                 hop_ptr.................0x0
> > >                                 hop_count...............0x0
> > >                                 trans_id................0x377df6ce
> > >                                 attr_id.................0xFF02 (UNKNOWN)
> >
> > This is a proprietary SM attribute used by Cisco SM. Also, I believe the
> > Cisco SM supports replication to standby's and that would be via
> > proprietary means.
> >
> > >                                 resv....................0x0
> > >                                 attr_mod................0x1
> > >                                 m_key...................0x0000000000000000
> > >                                 MAD IS LID ROUTED
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what this ERR 3107 means, is there something I could do about
> > > it? Is there a way to use OpenSM as a standby SM with a managed switch?
> >
> > No; SM flavors should not be mixed on a subnet. There are numerous
> > reasons for this.
>
> What are the reasons? I think complaint SMs should be able to
> inter-operate, of course not in part of proprietary extensions.

Aside from value adds (proprietary extensions) which is an important and
large issue as all SMs vendors claim advantage from this and they are
not being opened up, there are the issues of routing algorithms (both
unicast and multicast), management, and consistency of data. These are
all different to varying degrees for each flavor.

While I am aware of some customers requesting this, the IBTA does not
sanction this configuration. The MgtWG has produced a white paper on the
topic which is available on their web site. In fact, some areas of the
above are beyond the IBTA charter. If you feel strongly about this, I
suggest you get a like minded vendors and get as much of this
standardized as possible. IMO the place for this is the IBTA MgtWG.

> At least
> I am able to run OpenSM with Voltaire SM on one subnet.

Define what you mean by run here ? What "experiments" have you
performed ?

Does Voltaire stand behind this as a supported configuration ? If not,
are there any plans to do so ?

-- Hal