[ofa-general] opensm: Unsupported attribute = 0xFF02

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Thu Nov 1 05:00:29 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 05:56 +0200, Sasha Khapyorsky wrote:
> On 20:41 Wed 31 Oct     , Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:24:10AM +0200, Sasha Khapyorsky wrote:
> >
> > > What are the reasons? I think complaint SMs should be able to
> > > inter-operate, of course not in part of proprietary extensions. At least
> > > I am able to run OpenSM with Voltaire SM on one subnet.
> >
> > At a minimum how hand off is supposed to work is very vaugely
> > specified in the IBA.
>
> It is at least basically described in the IBA - with exchanging SMInfo.
>
> > Besides, even if hand off wasn't a problem the two SMs would have to
> > have very similar ideas on routing, multicast, QOS, services, etc
>
> In worst case the routing tables and QoS setups could be reconfigured
> from scratch (just as if it could be first SM run), and all SA related
> things could be rerequested with ClientReregistration bit.

Routing tables are usually driven by algorithms (all beyond the spec)
rather than table loading.

Don't trivialize management data in a large subnet. It is potentially a
large amount of configuration which people try hard to avoid until they
no longer have a choice.

I view client reregistration as a workaround for this very issue. I am
regretting pushing that into the spec for that purpose.

> And sure, some configurations (partitions, QoS, routing, etc.) can be
> not synchronized for SMs, but then the differences in a fabric setups
> should be expected results.

Is that really acceptable for a real customer ?

-- Hal