[ofa-general] opensm --lcm

Bernd Schubert bs at q-leap.de
Mon Nov 12 10:13:19 PST 2007

Hi,

so far we always did run opensm without the --lmc option, but just recently I
read in opensm's manpage about it.

<opensm manpage>
This option specifies the subnet's LMC value.  The number of LIDs assigned to
each port  is  2^LMC.
The LMC  value  must be in the range 0-7.  LMC values > 0 allow multiple paths
between ports.  LMC values > 0 should only be used if the subnet topology
actually provides multiple paths between ports, i.e.  multiple
interconnects  between  switches.   Without -l, OpenSM defaults to LMC = 0,
which allows one path between any two ports.
</opensm manpage>

In one of our configurations we do have a mts2400 (master) switch and
connected to it are two mts14400 switches (each with 3 connections to the the
mts2400).
I think from the description of the opensm manpage we need to give the "--lmc"
to make use of the 3 connections from each mts14400 switch to the mts2400
switch, don't we?
Furthermore, from manpage I would think we even need this
option for proper inter-communication between the switch modules?

Thanks in advance,
Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert