[ofa-general] Re: iWARP peer-to-peer CM proposal

Caitlin Bestler Caitlin.Bestler at neterion.com
Wed Nov 28 08:43:38 PST 2007

That is an extra round-trip per connection setup, which is a significant
penalty for a short lived connection. It is trivial for HPC/peer-to-peer
applications, but would be a killer for something like HTTP over RDMA.

Doing something like this for *every* connection makes it effectively
a change to the MPA protocol. OFA is not the forum for such discussions,
the IETF is.

OFA drafting an understanding of how peer-to-peer applications use the
existing protocol, on the other hand, is quite reasonable. But it has
to be something done by peer-to-peer middleware or by the verbs layer
is not augmenting a protocol, it is changing it.