[ofa-general] Re: iWARP peer-to-peer CM proposal

Tom Tucker tom at opengridcomputing.com
Wed Nov 28 09:22:36 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 11:43 -0500, Caitlin Bestler wrote:

> [...]

I find it hard to get excited about optimizing short lived connections
for RDMA. I simply don't think it's an interesting use case. And btw,
HTTP long ago got rid of short lived connections because it's painful
even on TCP.

> Doing something like this for *every* connection makes it effectively
> a change to the MPA protocol.

Uh. No, it doesn't. Normalizing the behavior of applications during
connection setup doesn't change the underlying protocol. It adds another
one on top.

>  OFA is not the forum for such discussions,
> the IETF is.

My living room, the dinner table, the local bar and this mailing list
are perfectly acceptable forums for discussing a protocol. The IETF is
the forum for standardizing one. Right now, I don't think we're ready to
standardize, because we're still exploring the options; the first of
which is NOT changing MPA.

This group has the unique benefit of actually USING and IMPLEMENTING the
protocol and therefore has some beneficial insights that may and should
be shared. All that said revving the MPA protocol is way down the road.

> OFA drafting an understanding of how peer-to-peer applications use the
> existing protocol, on the other hand, is quite reasonable.

That's step 1 and the 0B READ is one way to do it.

> But it has
> to be something done by peer-to-peer middleware or by the verbs layer
> is not augmenting a protocol, it is changing it.

The flag may be useful, however, I don't see the connection between the
flag and complying with the MPA protocol.