[ofa-general] OFA server

Jeff Becker Jeffrey.C.Becker at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 30 09:20:26 PST 2007

Hi all. As several of you noticed, the OFA server was badly broken
yesterday. This happened while I was attempting to back out my git
changes (which had messed up git). Unfortunately, before I realized what
happened, the Ubuntu/Debian package manager (aptitude) not only removed
git, but took a large number of other important packages with it. This
was a result of my inexperience with aptitude, and I am very sorry this
happened.

Fortunately, aptitude left most of the configuration and web content
alone. Thus I was able to bring back the web server and the mail lists.
Currently, our SPAM blocker is set up but I need to fix our virus
checker. Thanks to Sasha, I also resurrected git to its old working
state prior to my patching.

I still need to bring back our wiki, and bugzilla. Also I fixed my php
downloads page (the one that checks for WEB_README), and handed it off
to SplitRock to link to the main web page. Unfortunately, I need to fix
apache so php works again, but this shouldn't be difficult.

One bright side of this event is that it forces me to fix the issue of
the old certificates (from staging.openib...). This can be fixed if I
switch the https pages to just http. Is this OK with everyone (otherwise
we need to get new certificates)?

Another issue is: do we still want to keep the openib gen2 archives
available from the Developer Resource page? I currently have the link
turned off, but can resurrect it if needed. If we decide to leave it
turned off, I'll remove the "Linux Development Archives" section from
that page.

Again, I apologize for my blunder. Hopefully the server will be at least
as good if not better than before after I fix everything. In the
meantime, if you find any problems with the server, please don't
hesitate to let me know. Thanks for your understanding.

-jeff