[ofa-general] Re: Question about mthca_alloc_memfree and mthca_alloc_db

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Oct 4 15:35:13 PDT 2007

 > We hit a bug in the RHEL4 kernel which was fixed in your latest tree.  The bug
 > was in mthca_alloc_memfree.  When comparing your code to the current RH kernel,
 > we wondered why you would not return the error code from mthca_alloc_db rather
 > than -ENOMEM as demonstrated in the patch below?

Does Red Hat know about the bug so they can fix it in an update?

Anyway, I don't think the return value matters much -- I think when I
wrote the code, I just figured that the allocation failed so it makes
sense to return ENOMEM rather than whatever internal reason caused the
allocation to fail.  Does it make any practical difference one way or
another?

 - R.