[ewg] RE: [ofa-general] OFED 1.3 Alpha release is available

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu Oct 18 08:56:02 PDT 2007

>Being in upstream kernel is very good but for NFS RDMA to be in OFED we

>need backport patches that supports all OSes
>(e.g. SLES 10 based on kernel 2.6.16, RHEL 5 based on kernel 2.6.18)
and
>someone has to do this work

>Tziporet

Not sure I buy that argument.

I think in the past we have had some features in OFED that were only
availible
on certain kernels/distros. If I recall, for example, I think that for
a while iser was not available for all kernels until the backport
patches were developed.

Are you proposing we remove something that is in an upstream kernel
from OFED ? If so, perhaps we should discuss on the next conference
call,
as I thought that generally all features that are upstream get included
into OFED and then perhaps some features that are not yet upstream
are added on. That seems to be the process that we have followed
in the past anyway.

my 2 cents
woody