[ofa-general] [RFC] upstream IB router support

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Thu Oct 25 10:37:57 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:28:38AM -0700, Hal Rosenstock wrote:

> How might this affect end node operation when there are standard based
> routers ? If there are other larger changes for that, then this
> particular issue is a red herring.

I think the current thinking in the LWG would allow Sean's patch in
the end-nodes to transparently continue working in all the cases it
can work, with a little help from the SM.

> I do think it's important to try to keep in mind if it is possible to
> smooth a migration path for end nodes (and SMs) in terms of prestandard
> and standard routers. That's not to say that there should be no changes;
> just that it would be nice to be able to tell the two apart and make
> intelligent choices based on this.

>From an end-node perspective, pre-standard vs standard operation would
have to be based on the SM supporting the new capabilities.

TBH, I'm not too concerned about continuing to support this
pre-standard router hardware we are going to be using at SC|07. It is
strictly a development tool to start getting the ULPs in shape.

Jason