[ofa-general] [GIT PULL] please pull infiniband.git

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Fri Oct 26 15:32:48 PDT 2007

 > Having waited for months for this patch to be merged in, it is very disappointing
 > to say the least. Wish it had been merged and if changes are needed they can always be
 > made subsequently. That has been my understanding of the development model.

If you really want to get into it...

I'll certainly accept some of the blame for taking too long to review
this patch.  However, you didn't do yourself any favors by: a) making
one huge ugly patch and b) being rather disagreeable when someone
actually tried to review it.

As far as the development model goes, it is certainly true that for
new things, we can merge first and fix later.  But when we're touching
something like IPoIB, which is pretty critical to just about everyone
using the IB stack at all, the standard is a little different: we need
to be much more conservative.  And even for new stuff, starting from a
good base is pretty important; it's easy to pick on coding style
problems, and indeed they do make review harder, but it's even more
important to have the underlying logic and structure be simple and
maintainable.

Anyway, I'll post my current patch series shortly.  I think I was able
to make the patch quite a bit neater and more reviewable: your patch
added > 400 lines, while the main part of my series adds < 200 lines.

 - R.