[ofa-general] Service ID scope in IB Arch Spec A3.2.2 is incorrect, right?

Scott Guthridge guthridg at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 30 11:01:47 PDT 2007

IB Architecture Spec, r1.2 section A3.2.2 says [emphasis added]:

   Each *port* on a CA may support a set of services. ... Since *not all
   ports* support the same set of services...

and later:

   "it is the combination of the Port GID and Service ID that identifies a
   particular service provider"

But this seems to contradict chapter 12 (communication management) and
chapter A8 (device management) which consistently associate services with
channel adapters, not ports.  See 12.6.5 table 99 (CA GUID), 12.6.8 table
103 (CA GUID), 12.9.9 connection state table (CA GUID), etc.  Similarly,
figure 309 "I/O Components and Relationships" in section A8.2.3 that shows
the DM agent being a component of the I/O Unit, and because the I/O unit is
associated with a single TCA, it follows that the DMA belongs to the
channel adapter, not to a particular port.

The CM implementation in OFED 1.2 supports this notion that services are
defined per CA, not per port in that ib_create_cm_id doesn't take a port
number.

I suppose one could try to implement a service that just sent a REJ to
anyone who tried to connect to it on a port it didn't like, but it seems
like advertising a service you don't actually intend to provide from a
given port would be odd behavior.

So am I correct that A3.2.2 has it wrong?  Would it be right to say that
with respect to provided services, all ports of a given CA are equal?

Thanks,
Scott