[ofa-general] can not join due to rate:2.5Gbps < group:10Gbps?

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Fri Apr 4 08:08:23 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 11:05 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 07:55 -0700, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> >
> > Looks like you have a mixed rate set of ports so you need to configure
> > the group to 2.5 Gbps.
>
> I'm a bit green with I/B, so please bear with me if you can.  I do
> understand that there can be mixed rates depending on hardware.  But the
> "hardware guys" assure me the cards in these machines should be able to
> do 10Gbps.  Maybe they are wrong.  The card is listing as:
>
> 06:00.0 InfiniBand: Mellanox Technologies MT23108 InfiniHost (rev a1)

Yes, but the multicast groups (which IPoIB uses) need to be a
homogeneous rate so either it needs to be lowest common denominator or
some nodes will not be able to participate.

> >  What SM are you using ?
>
> That's a good question.  I suspect it's running on the switch.  I don't
> know any details on the switch (yet) though.  I will need to engage the
> hardware folks to determine this.  I did get an error when when ran
> ibdiagnet about more than 1 master SM running when I started opensmd on
> one of the nodes and none of the other nodes are running an SM so that
> only leaves the switch.
>
> In my limited exposure to IB, running the SM on the switch has always
> yielded bad results.  I will see if I can get them to disable it.

That's one choice. The other is to contact your SM (switch) vendor as to
how to configure the SM for this. Most SMs have some configuration to
deal with the situation you are describing.

-- Hal