[ofa-general] madrpc_init and reseting performance counters

Joel Shibata shibata at lampreynetworks.com
Thu Apr 10 07:27:15 PDT 2008

I'm attempting to query the performance counters on each IB device/port and then reset these counters.  To do so I'm using madrpc_init to initialize each port on every poll.  Doing so produces the following warning/panic:
ibwarn: [19949] umad_init: can't read ABI version from /sys/class/infiniband_mad/abi_version (Too many open files): is ib_umad module loaded?
ibpanic: [19949] madrpc_init: can't init UMAD library: (Too many open files)
I've verified that libibumad rpms are installed.  Only calling madrpc_init at the front end of my polling only allows me to reset the port that was initialized last.  Does anyone have some insight into how I gather/reset each port without having to call madrpc_init each time I poll that port?Joel Shibata
Software Developer
Lamprey Networks