[ofa-general] libibverbs-1.1: issue RLIMIT_MEMLOCK

Harshavardhana harsha at zresearch.com
Fri Apr 18 00:34:35 PDT 2008

Hi Openfabrics,

   A question or bug probably, after upgrading to new OFED with
libibverbs-1.1 release. I experienced problems with running Fluent CFD
application with HP-MPI 2.2.5.1 as i saw the libibverbs initialization
failed due to library
throws an error saying maximum pinnable memory i.e memlock insufficient.

"ibv_create_qp failed"
"Unable to Initialize RDMA device".

I didn't have this problem in earlier versions. I fixed this by changing
the hardlimit/softlimit to more than 32k which was default on my system.
But
i am thinking why does the RDMA initialization fails if it's 32k which
didn't happen for libibverbs version 1.0.4. It should throw a warning
according to the check_memlock function in the libibverbs source
directory. But that's not happening in turn the ibv_create_qp is failing,
is it not better to set the rlimit by the library itself using
setrlimit().

This looks to be a change with the ConnectX IB 4th Gen Infiniband hardware
in place that libibverbs is requesting memlock to be more than 32k.

Regards & Thanks
--
Harshavardhana
"Software gets slower faster as Hardware gets faster"