***SPAM*** RE: [ofa-general] Is IBIS only for querying OpenSM?

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Fri Apr 18 12:12:18 PDT 2008

Terry,

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 15:25 +0000, terry watson wrote:
> Thanks Hal. I appreciate using the SM is the correct means of controlling partitioning; however, the testing I am performing is assessing security vulnerabilities. In this case, the two clusters are separated by partitioning only and I am seeking to assess the ability of a user to obtain unauthorised access to one cluster from the other. The requirement for the vendor building the two clusters was that they were isolated from each other. They have chosen to use one switch and I have to assess if this provides adequate isolation, as per the client's security requirements.
>
> At this stage of my investigation, I do not believe partitioning on a switch provides adequate separation / isolation to be used as a security control and two physical switches will need to be used to provide the complete isolation that is required. But my task is to prove this to justify the expense.... :)
>
> I value any comments or input on this topic.

One pertinent thing here is whether a MKey manager is supported in the
SM, and if so, what level of MKeying is used. Sufficient MKey protection
with a sophisticated manager could make the updates of such PKey tables
difficult but not impossible. Currently, OpenSM does not support an MKey
manager but one is being proposed for the next OFED cycle. Currently,
OpenSM supports a static configured MKey and MKey lease period which
could make things marginally better if you are concerned with rogue
updates like this. Not sure about the third party (vendor) SMs in this
regard. Contact your vendor if this is of interest.