[ofa-general] Loading of ib_mthca fails

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Wed Apr 23 14:52:07 PDT 2008

 > ib_mthca 0000:04:00.0: FW version 000000000000, max commands 1
 > ib_mthca 0000:04:00.0: Catastrophic error buffer at 0x0, size 0x0

This is really weird -- we're getting all 0s back, like the HCA didn't
write the response back the right place.

 > Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 31.

which might cause this if the DMA goes to the wrong place.

 > Does this mean that the adapter doesn't have a firmware?

It is possible that the FW image is screwed up.  You could use the
Mellanox FW tools to make sure you have the right FW installed.  But
this doesn't have the flavor of that.

Could you send the output of lspci -vvvnn?

 - R.