[ofa-general] limit on memory registration

Rui Machado ruimario at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 05:47:27 PDT 2008

>> I have a feeling that you refer to the value of max_mr (am i right?)

> :) yep sorry.
> The value for max_mr_size is 18446744073709551615 (can this one be ? )
> Again, how do I decode this?

>>> Mellanox
>>> ca type:25218 (vendor_part_id)
>>> fw_version : 5.1.400 (fw_ver)
>>> hw_version : a0 (hw_ver)
>>>

>> The module parameter "num_mtt" control the size of the above described
>> table.
>
> Ok. And is there a limit?
> And out of curiosity, how does this calculation gets done? I mean, can
> I take the values and say: Ok, with this num_mtt we can go up to X?

Tried with the module parameter but not sucessfully. I get errors like

ib_mthca 0000:23:00.0: Failed to initialize memory region table, aborting.
or
ib_mthca: Invalid value 1048580 for num_mtt in module parameter.
ib_mthca: Corrected num_mtt to 2097152.

I guess I'm just shooting in the dark :)

And is there a relation to the max_mr_size above?

Thanks for the patience
;)