[ofa-general] FW: An alternative solution to the node name issue in OFED 1.3.1

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:27:57 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 10:12 AM, John Russo <john.russo at qlogic.com> wrote:
> Issue:  We have found that causes openibd to be started before networking
> and therefore the NodeDescription, when returned from the SM, does not
> always contain the hostname of the system when ibhosts is run.
>

> A solution was proposed however I wanted to give an alternative that we
> worked out in case you liked it and wanted to use it instead.

I would think setting of the NodeDescription in this manner would need
to be done optionally, via a module parameter, with the default being
off. Quite some time ago we had the discussion about it being a system
admin policy/possible security issue to reveal or not reveal the
hostname via similar mechanisms. For a similar reason, this capability
was removed from ICMP.

-- Hal