[ofa-general] ***SPAM*** Re: opensm hang and osmtest report ERR 0130

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:07:42 PDT 2008

Hi Yicheng,

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Yicheng Jia <YJia at tmriusa.com> wrote:

> Hi Hal,
>
> I have a question regarding to this issue.
>
> If I have both opensm and Cisco managed switch running in the same subnet,

This is inadvisable. There are a set of issues when running SMs of a
different flavor in the same subnet.

> can opensm automatically detect the Master SM and set itself as the slave
> SM?

Yes, the SM election process will work properly. It relies on high
priority and low GUID. So if OpenSM either has low priority or same
priority and low GUID, it will become standby.

> Or I have to manually disable the SM in the Cisco switch

That would be my recommendation: either run all OpenSMs or all
Cisco/Topspin SMs in your subnet but not a mix of the two.

> in order for the opensm acts properly?

Not sure what you mean by OpenSM acting properly. Both SMs have
different policies for a number of things beyond the spec. There is an
IBTA supplied white paper on management interoperability
(http://www.infinibandta.org/newsroom/whitepapers/mgtinterop_final_1.pdf)
which I think is available to non members (by registering).

-- Hal