[ofa-general] ***SPAM*** Accessing RDMA Memory Locally

Dotan Barak dotanba at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 07:11:32 PDT 2008

Adrien Guillon wrote:
> If I allocate memory to be accessible by others using RDMA operations,
> my understanding is that I use RDMA operations myself to access that
> memory locally.  Is that correct?
No, the memory is local memory for your process which you can allocate
using malloc (or even static memory) thay you registered.
> Can I access that memory directly with pointers in the case of a node
> accessing its own memory location?  Are local access RDMA operations
> efficient?
You can read the buffers (that remote nodes RDMA Write to) using
memcpy/pointer access or any other way that you can use memory buffers
in your process.

After the RDMA Write ands and the data is placed in the remote buffer,
one can treat the local buffer as IB wasn't used ....

Dotan