[ofa-general] Re: [ewg] STOP the onslaught of EWG spam - disallowing non member posts

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Tue Aug 19 09:21:33 PDT 2008

 > Disallowing non members posts to the general list is problematic,
 > since as of the below MAINTAINERS entry this is where people from the
 > kernel community post issues they have with the RDMA stack, and you
 > don't expect everyone to subscribe the list...

we want to encourage people, even non-subscribers, to drop by and report
bugs, and forcing them to subscribe raises an unnecessary barrier.

It's probably acceptable to leave ewg closed, since the discussion on
that list generally involves only subscribers.

In any case it would be interesting to understand exactly why ewg
started getting such a huge flood of traffic anyway.  It seemed that the
majority of mails were not actually spam but rather backscatter bounce
messages caused by spam with a forged from address of ewg at openib.org.
It seems disabling the ewg at openib.org address would fix things for now,
and if there were some way to stop mailman from forwarding bounce
messages, that would deal with the backscatter issue more permanently.

 - R.