[ofa-general] minimum sw components requirement for driver/opensm in a single unmanaged switch network

Yicheng Jia YJia at tmriusa.com
Thu Aug 21 12:45:46 PDT 2008

My operation is quite simple: connect QPs and do RDMA read/write. In this
case, the opensm is not in need when the subnet is up, correct?

Thanks!
Yicheng

"Dotan Barak" <dotanba at gmail.com>
08/21/2008 02:33 PM

"Yicheng Jia" <YJia at tmriusa.com>
cc
"Hal Rosenstock" <hal.rosenstock at gmail.com>, general at lists.openfabrics.org
Subject
Re: [ofa-general] minimum sw components requirement for driver/opensm in a

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Yicheng Jia <YJia at tmriusa.com> wrote:

> Hi Hal,
>
> Can opensm just run once? When the subnet is up, it can exit assume that
no
> change will be made in the subnet.

Yes, depend on the serives that you will need/use.

For example: if you use operations that requires SA query, you must
have a live SM.

If you will connect the QPs in the subnet by yourself (for example,
using socket) you can manage without a live SM in the subnet ...

Dotan
> Thanks!
> Yicheng
>

> "Hal Rosenstock" <hal.rosenstock at gmail.com>
>
> 07/10/2008 09:15 PM

> "Yicheng Jia" <YJia at tmriusa.com>
> cc
> "Jim Mott" <jim at mellanox.com>, general at lists.openfabrics.org
> Subject
> Re: [ofa-general] minimum sw components requirement for driver/opensm in
> single unmanaged switch network
>

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Yicheng Jia <YJia at tmriusa.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If you want to avoid all the SM stuff, and are willing to program the
>>> switches directly (a few mads)
>>
>> Is it done by opensm?
>
> Yes.
>
>> What information should be set up in the switch by
>> opensm?
>
> Things like the PortInfos and LFT. See IBA spec vol 1 14.2.5
>
>>> Then to figure out QP connections, you just use a function of 3
>>> parameters:
>>>  my_qp_num = fn_sqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
>>>  target_qp_num = fn_tqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
>>> Where qp_num is a small number between 0 and the maximum number of QPs
>>> you
>>> need active between any 2 endpoints.
>>
>> Can the qp_num be manually assigned?
>> Does it need opensm be involved?
>
> SM has nothing to do with QP numbers.
>
>>> If it works, you are done.  If not, reset, up, wait for him to connect
>>> and
>>> send something to you.
>>
>> Is it reliable? I mean the QPs connection will keep alive during the
QPs
>> lifecycle?
>
> For one thing, SM needs to try to keep ports at active.
>
> -- Hal
>
>> Best,
>> Yicheng
>>

>> "Jim Mott" <jim at mellanox.com>
>>
>> 07/10/2008 04:17 PM

>> "Yicheng Jia" <YJia at tmriusa.com>, <general at lists.openfabrics.org>
>> cc
>> Subject
>> RE: [ofa-general] minimum sw components requirement for driver/opensm
in a
>> single unmanaged switch network
>>

>> If you want to avoid all the SM stuff, and are willing to program the
>> switches directly (a few mads), then I've used schemes like:
>>
>> Node LID=base + (switch port * constant) (base=0, constant = 1 works)
>>
>> Then to figure out QP connections, you just use a function of 3
>> parameters:
>>   my_qp_num = fn_sqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
>>   target_qp_num = fn_tqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
>> Where qp_num is a small number between 0 and the maximum number of QPs
you
>> need active between any 2 endpoints.
>>
>> With the above scheme, you know your node_id (switch port number), your
>> lid,
>> the lid of the target node,  and the QPs on both sides.  From there on,
it
>> is clear sailing.  You don't even need to send MADs; just transition
the
>> QP
>> up and try and use it.  If it works, you are done.  If not, reset, up,
>> wait
>> for him to connect and send something to you.  A little timer to make
sure
>> everybody retries once in awhile and what can go wrong?
>>
>> Jim

MessageLabs.