[ofa-general] mixing ofed releases

Dave Olson dave.olson at qlogic.com
Fri Aug 22 14:00:47 PDT 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, kovlensky at interia.pl wrote:
| I'm wondering what restrictions apply to mixing different ofed releases in one network. Would every mixture of machines with ofed 1.1, 1.2.5, 1.3, Infinipath 2.1 and Infinipath 2.2 work correctly in ib network layer? Any subnet manager restrictions? We're talking about ib network layer only, everything above (like software etc.) is user responsibility to have correctly configured.

Infinipath 2.1 and 2.2 should work together, both for PSM and ipoib UD
(not CM, obviously).  We didn't do a lot of interoperatibility OFED
testing between the two, but we found SDP not to be compatible between
the two, and I recall other issues as well, but not details.

Infinipath 2.1 is OFED 1.2-based, not 1.2.5.  We know there
are issues in some areas between 2.1 and 1.2.5.

I'm pretty sure that for most things, ofed 1.1 will not be compatible
with 1.2 or later.  1.2.5 had some pretty large changes in it for connectX.

If you can avoid mixing verbs-based tasks between the releases, then
they should mostly coexist on the same fabric, but  you'd want the
SM to be from the newest of the releases, if you use opensm.

Dave Olson
dave.olson at qlogic.com