[ofa-general] CX4 Optical Cables

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Wed Dec 3 08:14:41 PST 2008

Operational Question....

We have some storage nodes across the room from our IB switch and
reach them with 10M copper cables.    These 10M cables have been an
ongoing issue for us as they fail (start showing symbol errors) fairly
frequently.    We  decided to start replacing them with fiber (optics
imbedded in CX4 connectors) cables.   We got a couple of "intel-
connect" 20m cables (note that I think Intel sold the business to
EMCore).

When we installed the first cable yesterday we were surprised to see
that we could not get link status on the connection.    The HCA in the
host is a Cisco/TopSpin "LionCub" (board id=MT_00A0000001).

We have some newer (by one year) Mellanox branded HCAs on some other
nodes (MHEA28-1TC, Lion cub, board id=MT_02F0110001).    When we ran
the optical cable from the same switch port to the mellanox HCAs, we
got link status and a LID was issued - no problem.

We are just wondering if anyone knows what changed between these two
card/chip versions such that the optical connectors work transparently
with the the mellanox cards but not at all with the TopSpin/Cisco cards.

Thanks,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center