[ofa-general] CentOS non-OFED opensm package needs /dev/infiniband

Cameron Harr cameron at harr.org
Wed Dec 3 10:01:32 PST 2008

This is more of an FYI that can maybe help others, but perhaps it is a
bug that needs to be filed somewhere.

I've been trying to get the SM running without using OFED, rather "yum
install opensm" and using the distro's kernel-provided IB drivers. I've
banged my head around for a while trying to figure out why I was getting
the following messages:
---
Error from osm_opensm_bind (0x2A)
Perhaps another instance of OpenSM is already running
---

It turns out the SM is looking for devices in /dev/infiniband (umad0,
uverbs0), but the kernel-provided ib_umad and ib_uverbs modules place
the devices in /dev. By creating a link "infiniband" in the /dev/
directory to the /dev/ directory, things magically started to work.

"cd /dev; ln -s . infiniband"