[ofa-general] ***SPAM*** MPIR_Init_thread(310).......: Initialization failed

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Dec 5 06:33:15 PST 2008

Hello,
At first glance it appears that this is a an issue with an inability to
pin the memory required.  I'm cc'ing mvapich-discuss as well since this
message is specific to the MVAPICH/MVAPICH2 packages.

The following is a snippet from the MVAPICH2 Userguide...

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.2.html#x1-580009.3.4

A possible reason could be inability to pin the memory required. Make
sure the following steps are taken.

   1. In /etc/security/limits.conf add the following
      * soft memlock phys_mem_in_KB

   2. After this, add the following to /etc/init.d/sshd
      ulimit -l  phys_mem_in_KB

   3. Restart sshd

With some distros, we’ve found that adding the ulimit -l line to the
sshd init script is no longer necessary. For instance, the following
steps work for our rhel5 systems.

   1. Add the following lines to /etc/security/limits.conf
      * soft memlock unlimited
      * hard memlock unlimited

   2. Restart sshd

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 12:30:07PM +0530, अनुज wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have compiled mvapich2-1.2p1 for gen2.
>
> I tried to run IMB ( Intel MPI Benchmark) over it.
>
> But I'm getting the following error :
>
> Fatal error in MPI_Init_thread:
> Other MPI error, error stack:
> MPIR_Init_thread(310).......: Initialization failed
> MPID_Init(113)..............: channel initialization failed
> MPIDI_CH3_Init(168).........:
> MPIDI_CH3I_RDMA_init(138)...:
> rdma_setup_startup_ring(334): cannot create cq
> MPI process terminated unexpectedly
> Exit code -5 signaled from pnetib2
>             # here pnetib2 is the host name assigned to ipoib interface
> cleanupKilling remote processes...Signal 15 received.
> DONE
>
> Please tell me where is the problem. Or how can i debug this.
>
> Thanks Alot
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Anuj Aggarwal
>
> .''`.
> : :Ⓐ :   # apt-get install hakuna-matata
> `. `'`
>   `-

Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo