[ofa-general] porting IB management code to Windows

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Thu Dec 11 12:36:49 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:18:57AM -0800, Sean Hefty wrote:

> We've started porting the IB management code (IB-diags at this
> point) to Windows.  My strong preference is to avoid branching the
> code and instead keep a single source code tree.  Is there any
> objection to accepting changes against the management tree to allow
> the code to run on both Linux and Windows?  (We can figure out the
> logistics of build related files later.  I'm most concerned about
> the code itself.)

Just to chime in here with some past experience.. Is there any way it
would be acceptable to use gcc (or even the Intel compiler) as the
mandatory Windows C compiler?  That would save everyone alot of
ongoing hassle. MS does not maintain the C compiler portion of VC++
and it is very old standards wise, half your changes in this patch are
due to it not supporting C99.

So, really what you are proposing is to abandon all modern C
constructs in the offical source tree :| Some of this is acutally
harmful run-time wise (like removing const on the static variables)
and harmful maintenance wise (removing C99 named initalizers)

Jason