[ofa-general] Test modules for ib_core

Vladimir Sokolovsky vlad at dev.mellanox.co.il
Mon Dec 15 08:02:30 PST 2008

Steve Wise wrote:

>>> Hi Celine,
>>> Copy /usr/src/ofa_kernel/Module.symvers to the krping directory,
>>> then run make and insmod.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Vladimir
>>>
> Hey Vlad,
>
> What do you think I should add to the krping makefile to avoid this
> issue?

Hi Steve,
There are 2 relevant solutions described in kernel's documentation:

    Use an extra Module.symvers file
        When an external module is built, a Module.symvers file is
        generated containing all exported symbols which are not
        defined in the kernel.
        To get access to symbols from module 'bar', one can copy the
        Module.symvers file from the compilation of the 'bar' module
        to the directory where the 'foo' module is built.
        During the module build, kbuild will read the Module.symvers
        file in the directory of the external module and when the
        build is finished, a new Module.symvers file is created
        containing the sum of all symbols defined and not part of the
        kernel.

    Use make variable KBUILD_EXTRA_SYMBOLS in the Makefile
        If it is impractical to copy Module.symvers from another
        module, you can assign a space separated list of files to
        KBUILD_EXTRA_SYMBOLS in your Makefile. These files will be
        loaded by modpost during the initialization of its symbol
        tables.

Note: Module.symvers is a part of kernel-ib-devel RPM in OFED
          and is installed, by default, under /usr/src/ofa_kernel

See, Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
Section: 7.3 Symbols from another external module

Regards,
Vladimir