[ofa-general] ibv_post_send returns -1

Bharath Ramesh bramesh at vt.edu
Fri Dec 26 11:40:49 PST 2008

I using OFED-1.2 for my research project. I am facing an issue where
when I try to post IBV_WR_RDMA_WRITE work request to the QP
ibv_post_send returns with -1. This I presume means lack of resources to
complete the operation. To give a brief summary of my communication
mechanism, I have two kind of messages control messages and large
messages. I post control messages with the normal IBV_WR_SEND with send
flags set to IBV_SEND_INLINE. Every few hundred such control messages I
set the send flag to IBV_SEND_INLINE | IBV_SEND_SIGNALED and poll my
send CQ. For large messages I use IBV_WR_RDMA_WRITE with send flags set
to IBV_SEND_SIGNALED. After posting any large message I poll the send CQ
for completion. I have sufficient buffers posted on the receiver.

The first thing I did when I encountered this issue is to write a small
test which just does only IBV_WR_RDMA_WRITE similar to my application.
This test works fine without having any issues. I am wondering what
could be potential issues that might be causing such a scenario of
unavailable resources. Any help in debugging this situation would be
appreciated. I am not subscribed to the list would appreciate if I am
copied on the replies.

Regards,

Bharath