[ofa-general] SDP performance with bzcopy testing help needed

Craig Prescott prescott at hpc.ufl.edu
Wed Feb 13 15:01:31 PST 2008

Craig Prescott wrote:
> Jim Mott wrote:
>> Now that SDP is shipping with a non-zero default value for
>> sdp_zcopy_thresh (64K), I need some feedback from the list.  Does
>> anybody except me see a performance gain on large messages?
>
> Oh, I see it - absolutely.
> For SDP on iWARP, you can see the improvement for large messages at.
>
> http://hpc.ufl.edu/benchmarks/iwarp_sdp/
>
> Scan down to SDP Benchmarks.  The page is not really done yet, but I'm
> trying to finish up today.
>
> I'll run the same tests on IB (we have 4X SDR Lion Cubs) shortly and post.

Hi Jim - I did exactly the same commands as in your post.  Here is for
4X SDR Lion Cubs on dual Opteron 2218s with CentOS 5.0.  The nodes were
idle, except for the netperf.  For us, it looks like we should
investigate set the sdp_zcopy_thresh to something higher than the
default.  But the effect is still clear.

throughput:

               64K    128K      1M
   SDP      7602.40  7560.57  5791.56
   BZCOPY   5454.20  6378.48  7316.28

and for usec/KB:

                64K         128K          1M
             LCL   RMT    LCL   RMT    LCL   RMT
   SDP      0.574 1.079  0.836 1.084  1.398 1.244
   BZCOPY   1.518 1.602  1.291 1.331  0.923 1.082

Cheers,
Craig