[ofa-general] SDP and iWARP

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Thu Jan 24 09:54:26 PST 2008

Roland Dreier wrote:
> Sorry to come into this thread so late, but does it make sense to try
> the current SDP code over iWARP?  As I understand things, the RDMA
> consortium has its own spec for SDP on iWARP, which may not precisely
> correspond to the IBA SDP annex.  So probably the SDP code would need
> updating to work over iWARP.

I didn't think they were that different, but I don't know for sure.
However, unless the IB-SDP uses atomics or some other IB-specific work
request, it just might work.

> (And don't all the iWARP vendors have TCP offload socket stuff for
> their adapters anyway, which is a simpler solution to the same problem
> that SDP solves?)

Dunno about other vendors, but Chelsio's TOE code is available on their
web site (service.chelsio.com).  It will be more efficient than SDP over
iWARP (no SDP/iWARP headers needed).

I assume Craig is doing some research to perhaps determine exactly how
SDP performs over iwarp vs TOE or standard TCP.

Steve.