[ofa-general] Feature request: ability to enable SDP system-wide

Bart Van Assche bart.vanassche at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 23:51:32 PST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 2:55 PM, Jim Mott <jimmott at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> There are no current plans to do this.

Can this please be reconsidered ? The current approach (letting
libsdp.so open two sockets every time socket(AF_INET...) is called)
needs a complex implementation and is error prone. My opinion is that
instead of letting libsdp.so create two sockets to enable IPoIB + SDP
support, the kernel should be modified such that both IPoIB + SDP
context information can be associated with a single socket descriptor.
Once this functionality is implemented there will no longer be a need
for a separate address family for SDP (AF_INET_SDP). I noticed there
is strong opposition on LKML against introduction of AF_INET_SDP
(http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/3/6/70).

An example of an issue I encountered with libsdp.so: the STGT iSCSI
target daemon does not start properly when preloading libsdp.so.
Without libsdp.so tgtd runs fine:
# /usr/sbin/tgtd -f
(no error messages)

With libsdp.so preloaded an error occurs:
# LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libsdp.so /usr/sbin/tgtd -f
(null): iscsi_tcp_init(202) unable to bind server socket, Address already in use

Bart.