[ofa-general] RE: [ewg] Not seeing any SDP performance changes inOFED 1.3 beta, and I get Oops when enabling sdp_zcopy_thresh

Jim Mott jim at mellanox.com
Fri Jan 25 11:09:15 PST 2008

Right you are (as usual).

Hunting around these systems shows that I have been using netperf-2.4.3
for testing.  No configuration options; just ./configure; make; make
install.

To try and understand version differences, I installed 2.4.1 (your
version?), 2.4.3, and 2.4.4.  Built them with default options and ran
the tests using each.

Using netperf-2.4.1 and reran "netperf -v2 -4 -H 193.168.10.143 -l 30 -t
TCP_STREAM -c -C --   -m size" with target AMD and driver as 8-processor
Intel:

            64K    128K      1M
SDP      7749.66  6925.68  6281.17
BZCOPY   8492.85  9867.06 11105.50

I tried running these tests a few times and saw a lot of variance in the
reported results.  Reloading 2.4.3 and running the same tests:

            64K    128K      1M
SDP      7553.77  6747.58  5986.42
BZCOPY   8839.46  9572.49 10654.52

and finally, I tried 2.4.4 and running the same tests:

            64K    128K      1M
SDP      7935.97  6325.69  7682.65
BZCOPY   8905.94  9935.45 10615.03

At this point, I am confused.  The difference between SDP with and
without Bzcopy is obvious in all three sets of numbers.  I can not
explain why you see something different.

If you could try a vanilla netperf build, it would be interesting to see
if you get any different results.

Thanks,
JIm

Jim Mott