[ofa-general] Bonding and hw_csum

Stijn De Smet stijn.desmet at intec.ugent.be
Mon Jan 28 07:52:56 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to get IPOIB bonding to work with the hw_csum enabled. I'm
using OFED-1.3-RC2 with Mellanox MT25208 Infinihost IIIEx. If I enabled
the bonding together with the hw_csum, on some hosts iperf works in both
directions and both machines can be iperf server or client.
On another machine(all the same hardware(IBM x3655)/software), it
doesn't work, but sometimes restarting openibd(so unloading/loading the
modules) helps. Sometimes the host only works as iperf server or client,
but not as both.
If I start puling and replugging cables from the machines, in 90% of the
cases the bond fails(so the first failover works, failback not).

When I disable hw_csums, I can start iperf's, pull and replug all cables
and the iperf's run uninterrupted.

Regards,
Stijn