[ofa-general] Dapl 2 question/issue

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 09:42:02 PST 2008

OK, I've been working on integrating the latest dapl stuff into our
RHEL5.2 product and I've come across what I think is an issue.

The dapl-2 code is not compatible with dapl-1 code, and there is a
(albeit small, but still it exists) amount of work to forward port code.
However, you maintained the same library name (aka, libdat) for both
dapl-1 and dapl-2.  That means that, if code were to #include
<dat/dat.h> and then link against -ldat, they would get the old dapl-1
headers and the new dapl-2 library (assuming the dapl-1 headers are
installed, which realistically they need to be until all dependent code
has been forward ported to dapl-2).  In order for dapl-1 and dapl-2
libraries and devel environments to be installed simultaneously, which
is what you need for a seamless migration from version 1 to 2, you need
different names on the libs.  Is there any chance we can get an updated
dapl-2 that actually changes the lib name to libdat2.so instead of just
libdat.so?

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194