[ofa-general] Re: Dapl 2 question/issue

Arlin Davis ardavis at ichips.intel.com
Tue Jan 29 10:44:09 PST 2008

Doug Ledford wrote:
> OK, I've been working on integrating the latest dapl stuff into our
> RHEL5.2 product and I've come across what I think is an issue.
>
> The dapl-2 code is not compatible with dapl-1 code, and there is a
> (albeit small, but still it exists) amount of work to forward port code.
> However, you maintained the same library name (aka, libdat) for both
> dapl-1 and dapl-2.

Yes, I wanted to stay away from renaming on every major release if
possible. But I can see your point if someone wants v1 and v2
development packages on the same system. The intention was to provide
only the latest development environment with older versions supported in
libraries only.

That means that, if code were to #include
> <dat/dat.h> and then link against -ldat, they would get the old dapl-1
> headers and the new dapl-2 library (assuming the dapl-1 headers are
> installed, which realistically they need to be until all dependent code
> has been forward ported to dapl-2).  In order for dapl-1 and dapl-2
> libraries and devel environments to be installed simultaneously, which
> is what you need for a seamless migration from version 1 to 2, you need
> different names on the libs.  Is there any chance we can get an updated
> dapl-2 that actually changes the lib name to libdat2.so instead of just
> libdat.so?

I have no objections to libdat2.so.

James, do you see any issues? Anyone else?

-arlin