[ofa-general] libibumad umad_recv and umad_poll

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Tue Jul 1 05:57:10 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 18:31 -0700, Sean Hefty wrote:
> I have a couple questions regarding the libibumad interface, and I'm hoping
> someone might know the answers to.
>
> Do any apps call umad_recv()/umad_poll() from multiple threads?  I'm
> specifically interested in opensm and the diagnostic utilities.

OpenSM does not. There's a single receiver thread which calls umad_recv.
AFAIK none of the infiniband-diags do either.

I can't speak for ibutils and any out of tree consumers.

I also haven't looked at Ira's new libibnetdisc yet.

> If so, can umad_recv() support a mix of blocking and non-blocking calls
> concurrently?  Or are all calls from a single app always blocking or always
> non-blocking?
>
> Is the user expected to modify the fd to support non-blocking calls?

libibumad does open the fd as non blocking in umad_open_port:
	if ((fd = open(dev_file, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)) < 0)

-- Hal