[ofa-general] Issues with osm_sm_state_mgr_check_legality()

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Sun Jul 6 04:43:42 PDT 2008

Hi Vincent,

On 09:34 Fri 04 Jul     , Vincent Ficet wrote:

> I have another question: I compiled opensm and ran it from a different
> prefix.
> Because I'm not root, I wanted opensm to log onto a path that was not
> /var/cache. At first, I forgot to set the OSM_CACHE_DIR environment
> variable and got the following error:
>
> Error from osm_opensm_init: IB_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES.
>
> Looking at strace, I quickly found what was wrong:
>
> lstat("/var/cache/opensm/", 0x7ffff7cbf970) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
> directory)
> mkdir("/var/cache/opensm/", 0755) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>
> Shouldn't opensm log something more accurate w.r.t this issue ? Strictly
> speaking, it's not really an IB_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES issue.

I guess this failure happened in osm_db_init() function (see in OpenSM
log). This returns '1' on failure which is translated to
IB_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES error code.

Now in OpenSM most functions return status as 'ib_status_t' although not
each such function (just as osm_db_init()) is IB related and not every
error is IB related. I agree that this practice is not very successful
in general.

Sasha