[ofa-general] Cisco 7008 Internal/External Port Mappings

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Thu Jul 10 14:27:29 PDT 2008

We've got a couple of Cisco 7008/Topspin 270 core switches.    Much of
the diagnostic and topology information we get from the ib diag tools
in OFED refer to the internal ports rather than the actual external
slot/port.    We could deduce the mappings, I suppose, by tracing
cables and using ibtracert between nodes but that seems like a real
pain.    I was wondering if anyone on this list knows how that mapping
works.     The chassis itself consists of 8 "ib port" blades in the
front labelled as slots 1 - 8.   There are then six "fabric
controller" slots in the back of the chassis labelled 9 - 14.
Slots 11 and 12 are "special" as they hold the "master" and "standby
master" fabric controllers.

Seems like the FC's in slots 11 and 12 connect the the FCs in slots
9,10,13,14 which in turn connect to the external port blades in slots
1 - 8.

Again, all of the diagnostic information refers to the internal FC
ports and mapping those to the external ports (to which we actually
connect leaf switches) seems non-trivial.    I think there was even a
document somewhere that described the mapping.   We just can't find it
now.

Thanks,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center