[ofa-general] minimum sw components requirement for driver/opensm in a single unmanaged switch network

Yicheng Jia YJia at tmriusa.com
Thu Jul 10 16:39:48 PDT 2008

> If you want to avoid all the SM stuff, and are willing to program the
switches directly (a few mads)

Is it done by opensm? What information should be set up in the switch by
opensm?

> Then to figure out QP connections, you just use a function of 3
parameters:
>  my_qp_num = fn_sqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
>  target_qp_num = fn_tqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
> Where qp_num is a small number between 0 and the maximum number of QPs
you need active between any 2 endpoints.

Can the qp_num be manually assigned? Does it need opensm be involved?

> If it works, you are done.  If not, reset, up, wait for him to connect
and send something to you.

Is it reliable? I mean the QPs connection will keep alive during the QPs
lifecycle?

Best,
Yicheng

"Jim Mott" <jim at mellanox.com>
07/10/2008 04:17 PM

"Yicheng Jia" <YJia at tmriusa.com>, <general at lists.openfabrics.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [ofa-general] minimum sw components requirement for driver/opensm in a
single unmanaged switch network

If you want to avoid all the SM stuff, and are willing to program the
switches directly (a few mads), then I’ve used schemes like:

Node LID=base + (switch port * constant) (base=0, constant = 1 works)

Then to figure out QP connections, you just use a function of 3
parameters:
  my_qp_num = fn_sqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
  target_qp_num = fn_tqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
Where qp_num is a small number between 0 and the maximum number of QPs you
need active between any 2 endpoints.

With the above scheme, you know your node_id (switch port number), your
lid, the lid of the target node,  and the QPs on both sides.  From there
on, it is clear sailing.  You don’t even need to send MADs; just
transition the QP up and try and use it.  If it works, you are done.  If
not, reset, up, wait for him to connect and send something to you.  A
little timer to make sure everybody retries once in awhile and what can go
wrong?

Jim