[ofa-general] minimum sw components requirement for driver/opensm in a single unmanaged switch network

Yicheng Jia YJia at tmriusa.com
Thu Jul 10 16:47:42 PDT 2008

> You would also need to walk the ports to active (via MADs) after setting
> the LIDs as well as setup the switch forwarding table (LFT).

Are these done by opensm? Are these only two tasks that need to be done by
opensm in a single unmanaged switch network?

Best,
Yicheng

Hal Rosenstock <hrosenstock at xsigo.com>
07/10/2008 04:39 PM

Jim Mott <jim at mellanox.com>
cc
Yicheng Jia <YJia at tmriusa.com>, general at lists.openfabrics.org
Subject
RE: [ofa-general] minimum sw components requirement for driver/opensm in a

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 14:17 -0700, Jim Mott wrote:
> If you want to avoid all the SM stuff, and are willing to program the
> switches directly (a few mads),

You would also need to walk the ports to active (via MADs) after setting
the LIDs as well as setup the switch forwarding table (LFT).

-- Hal

> then I’ve used schemes like:
>

> Node LID=base + (switch port * constant) (base=0, constant = 1 works)
>

> Then to figure out QP connections, you just use a function of 3
> parameters:
>
>   my_qp_num = fn_sqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
>
>   target_qp_num = fn_tqp(my_node, target_node, qp_num)
>
> Where qp_num is a small number between 0 and the maximum number of QPs
> you need active between any 2 endpoints.
>

> With the above scheme, you know your node_id (switch port number),
> your lid, the lid of the target node,  and the QPs on both sides.
> From there on, it is clear sailing.  You don’t even need to send MADs;
> just transition the QP up and try and use it.  If it works, you are
> done.  If not, reset, up, wait for him to connect and send something
> to you.  A little timer to make sure everybody retries once in awhile
> and what can go wrong?
>

> Jim

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.
For more information please visit http://www.ers.ibm.com