***SPAM*** Re: [ofa-general] [RFC] ipoib: multicast sender will leave the group when neighbour is cleaned

Olga Shern (Voltaire) olga.shern at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 10:13:30 PDT 2008

In addition to that, we have found more issues with this approach:

According to IPoIB RFC if SEND ONLY join is used then;
When multicast group doesn't exist then 2 things should be done:
1.Send multicast packets on all routers multicast group
2.Register to get multicast group creation / deletion notification
traps from SM

Therefore the disadvantage of this approach is:
A) Traps mechanism is not scalable.
B) It is complicated mechanism: If multicast group doesn't exist need
to register to get trap from SM on group creation, meanwhile sending
traffic on all routers group. Got trap from SM that multicast have
been created, need to join it and also register for the trap of
multicast group deletion. Start sending traffic on the original
multicast group. If got trap that the group is deleted, need to start
sending traffic on the all routers group ….

Garbage collector approach is much simpler and more scalable.

Olga

P.S. Registration to group creation/deletion notification trap is not
implemented in SA,  the change that should be done is also big and
complicated